Chair yoga is a great way for older adults to get the wonderful health benefits of yoga. Staying seated means that even frail seniors or those who aren't flexible can safely do the exercises. Yoga is an excellent way for older adults to loosen and stretch painful muscles, reduce stress, and improve circulation.
The Benefits of Chair Yoga for Seniors
• Increased Flexibility. The ability to bend, twist, stretch, and move freely is important for more than doing yoga
• Promote mobility
• Improve core strength and balance
• Improved Strength. Using your muscles to complete yoga poses builds strength
• Improved Proprioception. ...Proprioception refers to the body's ability to perceive its own position in space. For example, proprioception enables a person to close their eyes and touch their nose with their index finger
• Improve mental health and positive feelings
• Increase oxygen intake
• Promote better breathing techniques
• Reduced Stress
• Reduced Pain
• Improved Pain Management Skills
• Better Sleep
Yoga is amazing—even if you only practice for one hour a week, you will experience the benefits of the practice. If you can do more than that, you will certainly experience more benefits.
I suggest starting with once a week and building up to two or three times a week, for an hour or an hour and a half each time.